MapleChaos Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MapleChaos- Where noobs own!

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

I have said before that Lord John Roxton was a South Americomaniac

Go down 
AuthorMessage
heroisthai

I have said before that Lord John Roxton was a South Americomaniac Empty
PostSubject: I have said before that Lord John Roxton was a South Americomaniac   I have said before that Lord John Roxton was a South Americomaniac EmptySun Aug 21, 2011 10:48 am

I have said before that Lord John Roxton was a South Americomaniac. He could not speak of that great country without ardor, and this ardor was infectious, for, ignorant as I was, he fixed my attention and stimulated my curiosity. How I wish I could reproduce the glamour of his discourses, the peculiar mixture of accurate knowledge and of racy imagination which gave them their fascination, until even the Professor's cynical and sceptical smile would gradually vanish from his thin face as he listened. He would tell the history of the mighty river so rapidly explored (for some of the first conquerors of Peru actually crossed the entire continent upon its waters), and yet so unknown in regard to all that lay behind its ever-changing banks.

"What is there?" he would cry, pointing to the north. "Wood and marsh and unpenetrated jungle. Who knows what it may shelter? And there to the south? A wilderness of swampy forest, where no white man has ever been. The unknown is up against us on every side. Outside the narrow lines of the rivers what does anyone know? Who will say what is possible in such a country? Why should old man Challenger not be right?" At which direct defiance the stubborn sneer would reappear upon Professor Summerlee's face, and he would sit, shaking his sardonic head in unsympathetic silence, behind the cloud of his briar-root pipe.

galway self catering
Besame
Back to top Go down

I have said before that Lord John Roxton was a South Americomaniac
Page 1 of 1